Thursday, January 28, 2010

Leadership Can Be Lonely


Yep, I am struggling with the one word today---BALANCE. I cant figure out how to balance my own interests and careers with that of Coach Keene. In most cases the bulk of domestic responsibilities for a coach's wife -- especially raising children -- fall on our shoulders. It does not matter how much you like it, it's still lonely...

You can hear a pin drop right now at the Keene compound! I just got both kids to sleep, praise God, and I am listening to end of the game on the radio....wishing I could have attended. I often wonder if people think I have lost my commitment for supporting the Chargers, nope, never...motherhood got in the way.

While coaches' wives in big cities may be able to go about their business normally, those in small towns often find there's no escape. At the grocery store, the gas pump and even the doctor's office, everyone it seems wants to offer some bit of advice to the coach through his wife. I was actually pumping gas today in Macomb and a guy asked me, "Aren't you Coach Keene's wife?" I said, "depends" He said, "whats happened to Carthage basketball" My answer, as I paid at the pump, "It became Illini West" He looked at me like....wow, she didn't get the question, but I got it buddy....

By far the toughest part of being a coach's wife is dealing with negative comments by "fans" in the stands, radio and sports columnists. Nearly every coach's wife has developed personal strategies for coping with these idiots. My thoughts, sit behind the bench and stay to yourself. Don't worry, I hear it...everywhere! I hear it from people I can't believe are even saying it! I was in Carthage working recently and I overheard a nasty conversation in the doctor's office between two old men, the topic, my husband. SUPER-- I finished my business at the office. Walked over to the two, in the heat of the conversation. Handed them both a business card and told them, if they wanted to complain directly to Coach Keene's personal assistant my cell phone number is at the bottom. They both were beat red and obviously embarrassed.

Thought of the night...Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.” Maybe I need to take my own advice...

Good Night, Sleep Tight...I am going to pass out!