Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Keene's KEYS To The Game




Honestly, I have not been real inspired this week......


This is the first week with no basketball practice or games. If you read my prior post, this week is usually a roller coaster of the 7 stages of grief in Keene-ville! I also find MYSELF coming off a high of madness and a whirl of emotions once that last buzzer sounded. Usually takes a week or two to find a routine, especially with Coach at home now after school...



Before every game Coach Keene does a segment on the radio, "Coach Keene's Keys To The Game." This is a short outline of all the things the team needs to do for a strategic win. Well, today I was thinking, "The KEYS to surviving the first week AFTER basketball!"





DAY 1---Don't lock the KEYS to actually LETTING THE GAMES begin in the car....yeah, this picture was taken through a very dirty window, hence the blur. My keys are quietly waiting for me in the driver's seat. $80 later, they were in ignition...Yep, Coach will be home right after school, yippee...an extra set of hands for the entire evening!






Day 2---Absolutely, positively, NO Post Season talk...You can secretly check scores, but don't mention anything about the sectional championship or the Supers...not to mention REDBIRD....I personally LOVE it when people say, "so and so says we need to get better, but do you really have to have a summer program? That is just asking alot.." OMG people...players are MADE in the off season..Go BIG or GO HOME...






Day 3---Coach Keene has left the building, the school building that is...Yep, Coach's parental responsibilities have officially kicked in, again. I think he might be a little overwhelmed. I noticed today he was trying to use the steamer mop to clean up one of Justice's spills--he said, "Does this thing need water?" He may be able to draw up the most strategic last minute play, but yes.....steam does come from water, dear...note to self--Coach needs a project ASAP, but not floors....







Day 4--Coach Keene has gotten up with Cameron a few times since birth--and yes, I have been counting. Now that basketball is over, I find it much easier to nudge him when little Mr. Peepers needs a bottle :) ....also, remember when I said I was really excited about having an extra pair of hands at home, by day 4....I am ready to send him back to the gym. We have a routine and bringing him back into our huddle is like two-a-days this week... (these words, "send him back to the gym", are brought to you today with the utmost love and compassion...)









Day 5--TGIF---Today is my off day, from the job I get paid for that is... The kids were wild. Cameron cried all day, darn those teeth. The house looks like a war zone, please God send NO visitors to my house tonight. I am cranky. Did I mention I have yet to comb my hair today and its now almost 9PM. Coach has spent his day taking calls from coaches who want advice about their opponent in the super-sectionals. Kinda ironic, we beat most of the teams in the supers, but here were are, done with the season....which brings me back to WHY SUMMER IS IMPORTANT...okay, off my soapbox.






Friday Night--Coach took Justice to the YMCA tonight to work on his shot for Monday.... and blow off some steam from being on lock down all day at home. Justice made a friend in the gym. Coach said he was about 6 years old. (reminder, Justice is 3)




New Friend-- "Hi, I made like 3 shots"

Justice--"I made 9"

New Friend-- "I made 10"

Justice--"Well, I already made like 90 today, beat that..."

New Friend---quiet

Justice--"Just shoot already"






Once again, not feelin witty tonight. Just exhausted. Well, tomorrow my agenda is clean the battle ground of today's war crimes, and help Coach Keene come up with 101 ways to fund raise for a trip to UNC this June.....So, I guess the KEYS to the first week after basketball in Keene-ville....is just..... survival!