Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Brownies, Of All Kinds...

“Make new friends, but keep the old…..Some are silver and the other are gold.” Any former Brownies in the house? I bet you remember singing that song, if you wore a beanie and sash, that is. On one of my countless, elongated, thought maddening drives today, I came to the conclusion that being a basketball family changes everything! Especially, a basketball family plus two kids.

I treated myself to lunch with a girl friend today. No Zach, a girl that is a friend. Men! We laughed about old times and cried about new challenges of motherhood. Her husband works the swing shift. FINALLY, someone who can relate to being alone with the kids most of the time. I discovered that coach’s wives not only miss their husbands, but they also miss out on any kind of a social life! If it’s not kids, work or basketball, then I am home preparing the domicile for another week of kids, work and basketball.

I posted a quote recently that stated, “Don’t compare what you’re doing to that of other people. Only compare what you are doing with what you are capable of.” I think this is going to by my “new motto” in life. This brings me back to my song from the good ole days of Brownies. It’s important to grow as an individual along with the role of parent and a wife. Today was great, girl time! I needed the moment to just chill and converse about something besides a press breaker or IHSA and their STUPID 4 class system---off soapbox! Coach and I feel that 75% of our free time should be dedicated to our kids. We both work and have so many other commitments it’s mind-boggling. I get GMS quite often…guilty mommy syndrome. So when we play, we play hard! The other 25% we must make an effort of doing something enjoyable once a month as a couple. Reminder, Mrs. Keene—you walk past that goal of “date night” everyday, have you had one yet? ....speaking of the goals board, we have already reached 2 goals and its only February! Sorry, if you can’t cheer for yourself, then what’s the point!

So back to doing something fun…By the time basketball is over, most of your friends stop calling because you have said “NO” so many times. Consequently, no social life, I think I mentioned this already…Anyhoo… I guess in that case, forget the song, we will just stay home, make some brownies and EAT them too!

Speaking of making new friends, Justice has an imaginary friend. His name is Ziggy. He goes to Wal-Mart with us, plays in his room and even gets a snack at bedtime with Justice! We are going to a birthday party on Sunday and Justice asked, “Ziggy only wants to come if there will be brownies with chocolate icing!” What is it with Brownies today???