Sunday, February 7, 2010

Everything Counts


Starting Monday, EVERYTHING COUNTS! The slate is clean and everyone is 0-0. Wins and losses of the regular season become a faint memory. Hold on tight, I have a feeling its going to be another wild week for this coach's family!
Speaking of Everything Counts....I asked Justice today what those words meant to him....
First he counted, "1-2-3-4-5-6...". Then I tried another avenue of asking him the question, more three year old appropriate. He says, "mommy, if I don't make my ball in the hoop, I just get up and shoot again. Sometimes I have to cheer REALLY loud when I miss, so I know I will make it the next time." Great Advice Justice! I asked him, "how do you make "everything count" when you spend time with daddy this time of year? Justice says, "Well, we play clothesline (translation-this is a wrestling move these two do on the couch or any soft surface when I am not looking), and he reads me books, he keeps my stats, and sometimes, if I am really good, he lets me throw water all over the bathroom..um...kinda like a flood and we don't tell you!" Note to self-- Ask Coach Keene if this is why the walls are wet after bathtime?
Speaking of Everything Counts---On a VERY serious note, My grandmother was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease this week. Its going to be a hard road for our family. Upon hearing this horrid news, I thought to myself, life is not a dress rehearsal for "regular season" play. And like the "postseason" of life, we need to make "everything count" with our loved ones, everyday. We never know what kind of "opponent" is lurking around the corner. Have the courage to live and make every moment count. Carpe Diem my friends and seize the day....today!