Monday, July 12, 2010

Service Station


Where has the art of customer service gone? Buzz and Woody say to the Cameron Crazies...

I can recall recent events in my life where the customer service has been great and then on the flip side, terrible. Can you think back to a recent transaction made between you and someone in the sales industry? How did they make you feel? Or maybe you are in a position that deals with customers, day in and day out. Can you think back to a interaction that maybe YOU were not on top of your game? I bet we all can. I have reflected today in some quiet time, yep no facebook--lovin it, on my ten years of post-college careers and can honestly say, I have not been on my game more times than I am proud of. The positive thing, I can look back and learn from it!

Here I am, getting ready to embark on a new career where management and communication is a must. I want to GIVE good customer service to my employees, as well as my customers, all the while moving the bottom line. I have read three books in the last 3 days, short books, and took some real pearls out of each one. I have married together four thoughts that can help enhance customer service as well as serving the customer. Here goes...

ATTITUDE--This concept is first. Why, because without a good attitude, the rest is a waste of time. Guess who is in charge of their attitude? You! The task you do everyday may not change, may even become boring, but you can alter your attitude and see your circumstance in a different light.

COMMUNICATION--Communication always over rides experience. People want to be communicated to positively and, believe it or not, address the areas of opportunity. We as humans want to be praised and want to be heard! We want to be coached and we want to lead people. If you are not connecting, then whats the point?

MAKE THEIR DAY--For example, the workers at Hy-Vee are always scanning. Have you ever noticed that? They are always looking for a way to interact with a customer. "Can I help you?" This question was asked to me 6 times in my 40 mins shopping recently. How's that for making my day? Make people WANT to shop in your store. There are alot of choices in our world where to buy milk.

HAVE FUN--We spend most of our life at work. Why not have some fun. Be creative. Challenge co-workers in a positive way with sales strategies or even customer feedback. I have had a few jobs where, honestly, I just didn't enjoy it. And guess what? It showed.

I challange you to step out of your comfort zone, with a good attitude, have some fun and make someone's day. And, if all else fails, sometimes just a simple smile speaks a thousand words too :)