Sunday, July 25, 2010

7 Year Itch


Lucky number 7. July 26, 2003 Coach Keene and I said "I do" at the alter of the Wesley Methodist Church in Macomb. Coach's grandfather was the minister at our wedding. It was a very touching ceremony, many laughs and a few tears. After the serious stuff was over, what a party!

I don't know how many times in the last 7 years people have said to me, "How do you live with him?" Yep, that screamer and stomp er on the sidelines is NOT the guy I know at home! If you have ever experienced Coach Keene's practice itinerary or his game day previews, you know Coach is a planner, everything is organized down to the last detail with him. (Almost needs therapy "organized") Well, my first experience of his "attention to detail" was our proposal story...


I was coaching golf at WIU. The day he proposed, not only was I hosting my home tournament with 12 teams, but it was the eve of my birthday. My stress level was MEGGA! After the tournament, He drove me home to get ready for a fun filled evening. Yeah, I am not going to lie, I was exhausted, alittle grouchy, and didn't really want to do anything except go to sleep...

He gave me my first "gift" of the evening before he left to give me some much needed downtime. It was a foot spa to rest my feet and relax after two LONG days on the links. He shared with me he would be back in a few hours to continue my evening of surprises.


Upon his arrival, we left in the car together. He asked, "can you pull down the visor"…and a golf cart key fell out. He said we had to make a stop before dinner. Yes, me being the outspoken gal I am, began gripping we were going out there. I had lived at the golf course that week..blah blah blah...We arrived at the golf course, only to find a cart that matched the key sitting next to the pro shop. In much confusion, we rode out to my favorite hole over looking the WIU campus. There was a blanket, a dozen white roses, and a bottle of wine with two glasses laid out on the green. I told my Zach, “this is a great thought, but people are golfing. We cant really have a drink on the green.” He reassured me it was fine, he had arranged for the golf course to close early. We laughed for a few minutes and it started to sprinkle. He then directed me to pull out the flag. Inside the cup was a little bag with a WIU logo ball inside. Under my breath I thought, “nice, I have 3000 logo balls.” In confusion he told me to turn the ball over. It was imprinted with the words, “Will you marry me?” After my SHOCK and then answer of YES…we went to dinner at Magnolia's. Yep, we had a special table waiting for us to celebrate.

Just when I thought the evening was coming to a close, it was time for my last surprise. Coach Keene had planned a surprise party with all our friend to finish the celebration....Yes, he got on one knee and proposed and yes, he met with my dad weeks before and asked for his permission...


I hear people get a 7 year itch when it comes to careers, marriages, houses and cars. Coach Keene and I have a relationship, that I guess to say the least, I just need to keep on scratching! When I am at my worst, he is at his best. When I am sad, he is happy. When I am worried, he is calm. When I was a giving birth, he was on his cell phone. Ha-just had to throw that in there...Coach is the best. He helps around the house and never complains. He helps with the kids and never complains. He does all the little jobs most men don't and never complains. Never a dull moment in the last 7 years and I only anticipate more excitement to come in the next 7.

Happy Anniversary! XOXO