Friday, July 9, 2010

One Person's TREASURE, Is Another Person's TRASH!


Man, if I would have known the guy we sold our home to on Calhoun Street, was going to destroy the place, I would have passed.
I can't tell you how many people have stopped by our house, called, wrote notes, vented in the Wal-Mart parking lot and other random locations the same message, "Can you believe what that guy has did to your old house?" No kiding!
What four familes--The Harris's, The Stites's, The Roche's and The Keene's--took pride in owning and loving the Macomb historical timeline, the fifth owner let it all go. Proudly, in 1932 the Harris family, who was the doctor of Macomb, build this spanish style living quarters. He then sold the house to Jack Stites, pharmacist of Macomb. Who then sold to Dwaine Roche, WIU legand. Who then sold to our family. There was a wedding in the living room. Dr. Harris's daughter walked down the beautiful cherry open staircase and said "I DO" in front of the fire place. Every year at the Stites reunion the family would come back and walk around the yard, smell the flowers that came up, every summer, and reminisce. I would sit inside and watch out the window as the ladies would hug and chat under the apple tree in the back yard. Zach and I loved this house. We loved the rich history. We loved the old crown molding and the screened in porch in the fall. We took pride in keeping the yard perfect and the inside immaculate. I tell you, we loved this home!

Why did we sell? Well, the neighbor across the street was selling drugs, which I called the Macomb police numberous times. Nothing was ever done. Ironically, he is in jail in Chicago...for selling drugs?! Wow, big surprise. Not the best neighborhood to raise children. Between the two fraternity houses having paint ball fights, and our house was the "neutral yard", vandalism more times than I can count, drunk college students waking up on our front lawn, the young boy across the street sharing he saw his first naked girl with his binoculars, and the rotation of new renters on all sides of us every year, it was time to go. Wait, I have to mention the permanent owner across the street. He was 48ish, lived with 3 other women around the same age. Every summer they would purchase a plasic kiddy pool, sit in the front yard in a Speed-O, and sing at the top of his lungs, "I'm FREEEEE, FREEE Fallling..." Awlful, I tell you. We nicknamed him Nut-hugger, I am sure you can figure that out on your own. The guy would seriously sit in his lawn chair from Friday at 4-Sunday night at 9. Watch us work in our yard. Even would position his chair different angles to get a good view. Messed up!

One persons trash is another persons treasure. Unfortunately, this new owner trashed our treasure. (Deep Breath) I was driving by the other day, which I do quite often. Sometimes I squint my eyes and pray the yard is cleaned up and the nightmare on Calhoun was over. We pulled up to the stop sign. Justice screamed in the back seat, "DISGUSTING, I TELL YOU!!" DISGUSTING!" See, even a four year old gets it.....I cant even imagine the inside. One hint, he has 2-100 pound dogs. I want to throw up just thinking about all that hard wood...

Dear New Owner, Martha Stewart called. She wants the carved bear back you now have learking on your front step, ya know next to the wild weeds and 6 small trees you have growing in, what was once, a flower bed. Love, Your Worst Nightmare P.S. I dont think you will make the Macomb Tour of Homes anymore, try to contain yourself.