Sunday, July 11, 2010

Early Bird Catches The Worm

My favorite time during the entire day, bedtime. Wait, before you think I am just being selfish, let me share with you why. Our routine is bath, snack, bedtime. Normally, I give Cameron a bottle around 8, while Justice and Coach head upstairs to settle in and read books. You can hear a pin drop, well except for the load of laundry started in the washing machine, and our cat Emma prowling around. It's cool and quiet in the living room. I get to hold Cameron close, hes usually tired and is relaxed as we rock back and fourth. He falls asleep to me singing my favorite church hymns to him, every night. I continue to rock him in the cool quiet darkness of the living room. I can hear Coach upstairs reading Justice stories. Justice usually gets very philosophical about bedtime. I often have to laugh at the questions he is asking or the "pitch" he is trying to sell for one more story before lights out. I always know when story time has almost progressed into sleepy time. Coach reads Shel Silverstein's poem's to him, usually the last book of the night. Justice's favorite is Early Bird....and a Keene family favorite!

Oh, if you’re a bird, be an early bird

And catch the worm for your breakfast plate.

If you’re a bird, be an early bird—

But if you’re a worm, sleep late.

If you know ANYTHING about Coach Keene, promptness is a must. I think this is his fatherly way of sending Justice subliminal messages that ten minutes early is on time, on time is late. My father en-stilled this in me too. My biggest pet peeve, tardiness. Time is valuable, even if you are the worm. Sleep tight!

P.S. Day 1 without facebook...read 61 pages in a book while relaxing on my front porch.