Friday, April 2, 2010

THIS IS MY HOUSE! (CLAP, CLAP, clap-clap--clap) Driven & Motivated- I want to WIN a pic on this wall! Dare me?


The 18th hole of the competition was a par three with water encompassing the entire green. I heard that little voice in my head saying “don’t hit the ball in the water!” Trembling within, I stepped away from my Titleist to refocus my mental approach. As a student of sports psychology, I know the value the mind can play on each and every shot. What if I told you the mind is the most powerful weapon we own in our arsenal of sales tactics? The mind can take us places our heart has only dreamed about, if we only believe!

If we reflect today on our sales fears, there are some we can control and uncertainties we cannot control. Knowing the difference helps to put the circumstances into perspective. Common fears we cannot control in our business are office protocols, customer attitude, samples, budget, management, managed care and the list goes on and on. Why does our mind gravitate first, to the negative things, we have no control over when analyzing our business? This is where we must train our minds to reflect on what we can control. You are the only one who can control your attitude, preparation, work ethic, heart and smile, drive to succeed, and character. This exercise takes solid practice and a surrender to face your internal negativity. Shift your mindset to determining success, not by what happens to you, but rather how you react to the situation. No matter the circumstance, preparing for a positive interaction the moment you walk through the door sets your call up for a positive chain of events. Face your fears of what others might think and tap into your own self confidence.

The secret to success is simple, it’s being you! In sales we should be capitalizing on ourselves daily. When you energize yourself, you energize everyone around you. Passion is the perfection in your mental attitude. Positive attitudes are contagious, even in an office with irritable staff! Believe you are the expert and your mind will follow. If you have failed in the past, step forward. Speak words of positive praise to yourself everyday. Surround yourself with positive people and dig deeper into your disease state by networking. It’s important to feel like the expert who can tackle any situation and that self assurance will shine through to the customer.

After re-focusing my thoughts away from the water and gearing those feelings to the large green waiting for my ball; I stepped up to take the shot. No longer did I hear that voice inside reminding me of the “splash.” I had taken control of my fears and let my swing take action. I am sure you realize by now, successful selling reaches far beyond the technical understanding of your product. Your attitude is the supreme test as you clear the path to greatness. When setting your individual and team goals, don’t forget the important component of the mind-set. Positive Selling!