Sunday, September 7, 2014

Front Porch-itis

Life is much better on the front porch.

If your headed west to the outskirts of Macomb there's a pretty good chance our foursome will be outside. Justice will be golfing, or working on his swing, as he likes to say. Cameron will be sitting in a tree. The one in the front yard is best. He says its magic. And you will find mom and dad sitting on the front porch. Feet up--on these awesome cushions from Kohl's. Normally, ice tea with a slice of lemon in hand, solving the worlds problems---or snoring with our mouth open wide. Whichever comes first. Our front porch is like an extension of our house when the temperatures hit 55. All winter we have no place to hide from each other inside, literally. When the weather breaks we can't wait to escape to porch.


Sitting on the porch tonight, sipping some H20 with lemon out of my favorite glass, I was thinking about the Leadership Lessons I've learned out here---


1- To catch a breeze (really inhale the air, take in the freshness) Even on the hottest days, we have a breeze on our front porch; it amazing. I have to think, even in the most difficult leadership moments, we all need to just step away....deep breath.

2-Watching my kiddos play in the yard. What? They’re not out in the yard? Bring 'em out. When I engage in watching my kids use their imagination it makes me more creative. When I engage in my staff and ask questions I learn more about their reality. Win/Win

3-It’s a great place to converse with your spouse at the end of the day. I am a better leader when I have a balance. Spending time with my favorite coach helps ground me in a more productive way. It lifts my spirits and calms my mind. Don't forget to have a life...

4- There’s no TV out there. (Thank God.) I really don't like TV. Enough said.

5- To pray. In the quiet of being alone in my rocker, prayer keeps me from falling off my rocker, literally. Quiet time outside makes me look around and realize I don't have to live in crazy, I can just be. Be one with him on the porch. When I am one with God on the porch, I have a better perspective in the office.

6-You see the house from the outside in, giving you a fresh ideal. Thinking outside of the box is creative, but thinking inside of the box is innovative.

7-It reminds me of my college home--Mississippi and Southern Traditions. Can't forget our manners in leadership. Sometimes its more important to be quiet, than to be right.

8-If you need a quick break, the kids probably won’t look there. My door is always open at work. When I give myself permission to shut the door, the kids think I'm out to a meeting. It's okay to take some quiet time and focus.

9-To read. Leaders ARE readers. You must be a student of life in order to keep your edge.

10-It’s the perfect place to think. To question. To wonder. To contemplate--I've even did it in my winter coat and hat.

I really would like a house with more room. Yea, I look on realtor.com all the time for the "perfect" new listing. Just when I think, hey--hey, this could be THE ONE; I find myself getting suckered back by the tranquility of our front porch. AND the fact that Coach refuses to move. Anyhoo, if you need me afterwork hours, just drive by and honk. Chances are we're on the front porch. Justice is golfing. And Cameron is in the front tree.