Monday, May 10, 2010

FYI-When they tell you they will hold the gate, they are lying! I was only 10 feet from making my flight into P-Town. I flew from Newark to O'Hare, then supposed to be on to Peoria. My American flight was only 15 short yards from the terminal, when we had no gate available to deplane. I was this close to the door! I wanted to scream or jump. This gives the saying, "close, but no cigar" a whole new meaning. When I deplaned the lady at the counter yelled, "I'll call your gate to hold the flight, just GOOO!" I seriously OJ Simpson-ed it across the airport 4 terminals down only to see my plane pulling away from the gate. Myself and another traveler were officially stranded in Chicago at 11:00pm. Fortunately, this other castaway was a doctor I called on in Peoria! Small world...we ended up getting a "reduced rate" hotel (separate rooms), which I still feel should have been FREE. At 1AM I laid down, in my same clothes I had one since 5:30am eastern time, and closed my eyes for 4 hours. No make-up, not even a comb, but the hotel did give me a toothbrush. Had that going for me. Back on the shuttle at 5:45am, through security and yet again at the famous gate I had cried in front of yesterday...only to find out, YET AGAIN, my plane was now delayed.....needless to say, I made it home. Tired. Dirty. With my luggage. And Really missing my boys! Although, had a really cool conversation with the doctor I was stranded with. Super nice man. Almost a fateful meeting. I honestly think our paths will cross again, maybe sooner than later....Fate or was I supposed to miss that flight? I could have did without the scary woman at midnight begging me for money in the dark parking garage while waiting for the hotel shuttle.
Glad to be home...I will leave Pharma before I put myself and my family through another 2 weeks of training...