Thursday, September 26, 2013

One Word



Come aboard our energy bus! I have challenged my management team to pick one word that personifies what leadership characteristics they want to portray in the next six month. In order to fill our bus with positive passengers (staff) we need to choose a destination.

Communication, Service, Compassion, Stability, Love and Satisfaction will be the fuel words keeping our energy bus on the road. We put these words on our printed out bus and made a commitment to start today. Beep, Beep! Have I mentioned how awesome my team is? Amazing how quickly they buy into a new concept--its refreshing. Can’t wait to share our first stop on the road...

This conversation sparked such a great discussion; I decided to take it to the Keene dinner table. I asked my boys, including the big boy, a simple question. We are a team. Each person around the table has a job, right? Big smiles from the peanut gallery. Justice yells, “Moms in charge!” Listen Justice, as I held back my grin. Can you boys think of a word to make our team better? Cameron said, “Play!” Good word Cam. If we don’t have some fun, what’s the point! Justice said, “Positive.” Another good idea. Life is hard. We have to find the silver lining sometimes. Coach said, “Time Management.” Agreed. Our lives are a scheduling nightmare. And my word was Support. Tonight, I am bringing home a picture of our family that we can all write our words on for accountability. I am a big believer that if you don’t see it, you won’t achieve it. Each night when we go around the table to share our day, we will incorporate our Team Keene words into the conversation. No matter how old you are or how many people you lead it’s important to have a focus. My goal is to focus more on the positive energy and teach my kids how to handle adversity. One word is a start.