Thursday, September 26, 2013

Clean Houses Are Over-Rated

Major Incidents in 2013: 49

Days Until I Start Vacation: 15

People who I WISH would pay me a compliment: 7



Luke 10:38-42
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”


41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


I get Martha. Good Grief--I AM Martha. She worked hard and stayed busy. She was a planner, and she was stressed. There were so many things on her to do list that she was not able to spend time with Jesus. It's easy to judge Martha, but I can imagine her motives would have been similar to mine if Jesus and his crew was coming to my house. To be the best homemaker in town. To impress. I bet she even lost sleep planning the meal and how everything she wanted to be perfect.

Mary, on the flip side was a cool cat. That state of mind is almost foreign to me--seriously I'm controlling and urgent 15 hours out of the day. She was not concerned with her reputation. Mary just sat and listened to Jesus, and hers was the choice Jesus preferred. I have to wonder what Mary got to hear while Martha was in the kitchen. For that matter, I have to wonder about all the things I miss when I am consumed with my lists. Gotta think--Jesus is not a fan of when I am trying to impress people. Wonder what my days would be like if I were more like Mary?

Ironically--Jesus does not say all exhausted coaches wives that run healthcare business's with two wild children should caffeinate to accomplish more. Rather He invites us to come to Him--and when we do--HE provides us with rest. We can decide to rest, but real soul rest is at the feet of Jesus. When we truly lay down our agenda and focus on his agenda everything changes. He accepts me---messy house and all. As for my family, not so sure.

Coach and I could both take a lesson from Mary. As we were sitting on the couch last night cuddling my new sweet nephew I asked him, "Do you remember doing this when I kids were little?" We both shook our heads no. I felt convicted. I am trying so hard to get though everyday, I forget to enjoy everyday. The boys will grow up and the only thing I will have is a clean house. Now, to figure out how to be more like Mary...