Sunday, August 22, 2010

The State Fair, Our First and LAST...


Wow, it's been way to long. I have thought about the blogging world for days now, it's finding the time to type the love. Where do I even start...decision's, decision's?

Well, I must share Coach and I made a terrible parenting mistake last weekend. Two word, State-Fair! Justice kept begging to milk a cow, he grumbled, "it's allllll he ever wanted." So you know what that meant. The entire family, double stroller and all, loaded up in the 107 degree heat index and decided to embrace the 2010 State Fair. I was actually kinda looking forward to the trip. I think the last time I made an appearance at the State Fair was when I was in 4-H. Yep, I sewed an outfit and won a blue ribbon. I got to model the peach shirt and skirt set on the runway at the State Fair in like, um, 1986. Man, I am telling my age...

I knew before the Chrysler 300 pulled out of the driveway that we should just give up before we left. I made 6 trips back into the house, my already sweat beaded forehead had forgot numerous important items for two needy children. (deep breathe) We arrived at the hot, stinky dust bowl and were directed to park on the opposite side of racetrack. Ya know, only 1/2 mile from actual fair. So by the time we got to the cow milking area Justice announced, "he didn't want to milk a cow anymore!" In parent hour's, it took us way more than you can count on one hand to get the kids ready, drive to Springfield, and NOT milk the darn cow...but Justice won. He refused. So, the trip continued to go downhill from that moment on. He rode a few rides, had a major meltdown in the maze. Coach actually had to go into the kids ride and carry him out. I think Justice just might be scarred for life, when it comes to Carney rides that is. The food was highway robbery. A lemon shake-up, $6 people...geeze. We stayed two miserable hours and surrendered. Our car smelled so bad the next day from our 2 hour drive home that I actually had to febreeze and fresher the entire thing overnight. Coach and I laughed on the way home, as the kids snored in the back from heat exhaustion, we know why the tickets were FREE. You have to be a little loony to battle the fair with two kids and triple digit temperatures! Life Lesson #215, if your child wants to milk a cow, find a local farmer!