Thursday, August 26, 2010

Milestones To Remember




















A parenting milestone this week. Justice's first day of school.

My heart strings were being pulled emotionally in so many directions, I don't think a map would have helped. My little man put his backpack on over his crisp new shirt and many pictures were taken. Justice was a trooper. He hopped right out of the car. Shook the principal's hand upon entering MacAuthur school and announced his teacher was "MRS. CREMER." We were greeted at the classroom door, finally the point of no return. Who would cry first? Me or Justice?

The teacher said, "Tell your mom good-bye Justice. We have a great afternoon planned!" He turned around, gave me a high five, and headed into the classroom. Then, after two steps he turned, came back outside the door and says, "Mom", while giving me a big bear hug, "I love you." Here I was, on the honest verge of the total ugly cry! I scooped myself off the floor and walk out of the pre-k building with huge tears surrendering down my cheeks. It was the moment I had dreaded since he came into the world. (On a side bar, before I gave birth to Justice, I had planed to take the minimum 6 weeks off of work and put him into daycare. Career was more important. Then, Justice Cater was born, a very late March 7th. Ironically, I took 18 weeks off for maternity leave and my mother retired to babysit Justice. I could never handle a stranger influencing my baby.) And, now, I have lost my control for the first time and I hate it.

He told me today that Grandma Barb was sitting in the reading corner. (My grandmother passed away on July 20th) I said, "Justice, are you sure?" He told me, "Yeah, only two people were allowed in the kitchen area so I went to the reading corner and looked at a book with Grandma Barb." Either he has quite an imagination or she was watching over him on this life changing afternoon!

Congratulations Justice Keene, we are so proud of you this week!!