Saturday, October 18, 2014

Powerful Messages

Just like one persons trash is another person’s treasure; one person’s passion might be another’s pain in the ass. The last five weeks have been a constant shuffle of kids, figuring out after school measures and listening to people talk all over town—oh yeah, and a full time job. Well, there was the lady at the meat counter cursing about my husband. There was the man at work questioning his intentions. There was the nosey person asking personal questions. So many rumors, so little time—and it’s not even basketball season yet. I pleaded the fifth to all who inquired. Less is more in my book. People must have nothing else to do with their life, other than speculate. Huge, and I mean, huge kudos to my parents and my sister for their constant support. Oh yeah, and Christina for my ugly cry. I can’t tell you how much I appreciated my mom doing some laundry during the day, my dad golfing with Justice and playing baseball with Cameron, picking up Justice on that ½ day of school and my late night meeting, a meal ready and my sister’s therapy in the mornings. Relationship is about all the little things. I tell my staff to look around. When the going gets tough, who shows up? That’s a powerful message. I'm thankful for my family.

Speaking of showing up, Justice showed up in the dark the other night. I flipped on the light to my room and inquired. He was lying in my robe. He had googled spa music. He said, “Do you mind. I’m the next customer for relax-nation.” My brilliant idea to take him for a massage to help relax has turned into his own version at home. Mom, can we get some oils? Oh my. By the way, the massage was an excellent idea.



Another excellent idea is my sister’s family is moving to Macomb! It will only be an eight month stent, but they will be close. They sold their house and are building another. They are brave. My marriage could never handle construction. Cameron is so good with Tristan, my nephew. He always kisses him real gently and shares his toys. Cameron and I brought Tristan home from daycare last week with us. We got out Cameron’s high chair. Cameron picked their snack, bananas and puppy chow. Tristan was hanging on Cameron’s every laugh. When he went home for the night, Cameron wanted me to hold him on my lap and eat dinner in his ‘ole high chair. Can you say a tad bit jealous? I played along.

Speaking of playing along. This week was National Bosses Day. My super awesome staff put me in a car and dropped me off at the spa. Literally, open door—get out. They know I’m controlling and urgent. (Yet another Keene that needs to relax) It was a great gift. And flowers when I returned. My staff is closer than family. We share our hopes and dreams. We share the good and the bad. And still come back to work the next day. It’s been a hard year for me. My staff has been my rock. Without them I would have crumbled. They prove their's no I in team.

Lastly, before I say farewell one of my former employees was killed this week in a car accident. Very sad. So very sad. I learned a valuable lesson in life and leadership when I heard the news. If you get that feeling you need to sit someone down and talk about life, do it. Listen to that voice. Make the time. I do believe one person can change the world. I’m listening…