Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fifty Shades

I am not sure if you have heard the hype of Fifty Shades of Grey, but wowzers! I am pretty sure every woman at the resort was reading this steamy book. Upon recommendation of my colleagues; I also caved and purchased. I was blushing the entire trip. I decided the certified book of the Dominican Republic was none other than this sweltering trilogy. Perfect read for 100 degree days by the pool. Anyhoo--Fifty shades of sunshine did the Keene's very well. The Dominican Republic is a beautiful place to have some quiet time. It did take me 24 full hours to melt into vacation mode, but once I got there...wow, was it nice. Coach and I read, relaxed, took a five mile walk everyday on the beach, had a slushy drink in our hand almost hourly, napped, read some more, had deep conversations and congratulated ourselves on making it the last six months. Let me say this again, Coach and I needed this time away more than ever before. Big kudos to our family for watching the boys. The kids had a full few days too equipped with swimming, campouts, more swimming, parks, cookouts and endless snuggles. Speaking of Fifty Shades, I am pretty sure Coach Keene hit all fifty drinks offered in the tropical menu this trip. Every year he declares a challenge upon arrival at our tropical destination. On another note, this is the first trip in nine seasons that was not consumed with Fifty Shades of basketball. Yes, I know--shocker! He did spend some time reading and writing like a stenographer, but not the entire trip. We set some professional and personal goals and did a lot of snoring poolside. Well, maybe I was the one snoring, He rested quietly. It’s often hard for me to not feel I am in Fifty Shades of competition with Coach. Sometimes I feel my success is invisible to his. Being recognized nationally in my profession was not enough this year to overcome questions about “what’s next for your husband?” Yes, I realize inquiring minds want to know, but there are two Keene’s trying to change the world. Often I am juggling so many aspects of life; I forget to enjoy my own. The bible says a wife should be a compliment to her husband, not in competition. I do my best to make his weakness, my strengths. I can honestly say his strengths are my weaknesses. Match made in heaven. Lastly, I am looking forward to Fifty Shades of Bomber Basketball that will start our Season 10 next week. Season 10--where does the time go? Its gonna be a great year. I'll bet Fifty Shades of sunshine on it...