Saturday, November 24, 2012

Speech, Speech

So here I am a few weeks late posting again. Darn this overscheduled life. Ah, where do I begin? After ten years of leadership, a few hundred speaking engagements later, Coach FINALLY decided to let me take a stab at speaking to his team. Before we left Justice said, “mom, I have a few words to say too.” For those of you who have not been following us long, Justice always has a few words. He told me what he wanted to say and I approved. Fast forward to the pregame meal; Coach introduced me. I gave Justice the floor first. I did tell them it was uncensored just in case he veered away from his original topic. He walked to the front of the room and put his sweaty little hands together. Shhhh, it was quiet. In the most serious voice he began, “Ladies, THIS is the not the trophy we are worried about. We only care about Redbird Arena and the STATE trophy.” The magnitude of his intensity made me tear up. He cares so deeply about the game. His passion was unleashed and the girls all cheered. It was a proud moment. Yeah—then I spoke, but Justice stole the show. I have to think we are teaching life lessons to our boys and raising the next leaders for our future. One of my rules is to eat dinner as a family every night. Even when basketball season is here, I and the boys continue this ritual. We have a sharing time while we eat. We each share something positive about our day. Cameron always goes first. He likes to share what he had for lunch or what he played with and then he says, “I spy, with my eye.” Then Justice screams, “That’s not the deal. We are not spying, we are sharing!” So then its Justice’s turn. “We had a sub today in art.” I asked, “Was she nice?” He gives me this googly eyed look and says, “Mom, she was old. I walked up to the desk and asked her if she wanted to live at Grand Prairie. She said no. She had a house. So I sat back down.” I might just have to hire Justice for the new addition. Cameron and I spent the entire day today decorating for Chrismas and cooking. We had a great time, just the two of us. Cameron is so much more relaxed than Justice. Cameron is detailed. He finishes everything he starts and has a happy little attitude. I love cheering on the Bombers, but I sure enjoyed spending the day with Cam....